Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cleaning Up #1: Sad Eid Stories

This is part of the project: Cleaning Up Our Own Backyard, One Episode At A Time.

We collect things that bother us as Muslims, and try to fix them.

The first step to solve our problems, is to humbly admit them.

Here is episode #1.





It was my first Eid prayer. I showed up early, by myself, and found a place on the floor to sit. I noticed that no one made eye contact with me or said salaam or anything. Everyone kept to themselves. As more people streamed in, people sat around me. When it came close to prayer time, a sister walked up to me and--I'm not exaggerating here--started yelling at me for apparently single-handedly making the line crooked. I looked around and saw that there was no straight line at all for me to conform to, but I was so freaked out that I tried adjusting my prayer rug just to make her happy. This only made her ANGRIER, and she yelled at me some more. Finally she left me alone, but I was crying through the whole prayer. It would be one of many experiences of people in the Muslim community following Islam to the letter, but not the spirit. I don't mean to be negative about my experience as a Muslim, as there are many positive things I've experienced in the community as well. This just popped into my head.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11/19/2006 11:06:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

assalamalykum ,
well said brother.we muslims should always be polite, humble, gracious and cheerful .we should always try to follow the sunnah . may ALLAH swt guide us all.aameen.salaam.

 
At 12/01/2006 10:58:00 PM , Blogger Winter said...

SubhanaAllah wa mashaAllah a great idea. we indeed need to fix oureselves first.

subhanaAllah what a sad situation. i feel for the sister

walaikom assalam

 
At 12/30/2006 11:42:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

which is this mosque that a sister prya in the same line as you to yell at you for having crooked line? bizzare

 
At 8/12/2007 12:15:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see this all the time at my local Masjid's, so much so that I don't feel like praying anymore in these places.

You can judge the Imaan of a community from the way the Masjid appears to you.

A brother once told me he went to pray at a Masjid he found (he was working out of town), when he got to the door it was closed, when he asked another brother how to enter the Masjid, he was told it was closed!

Next time brothers and sisters, you enter a Masjid, and are getting ready to pray, take a look left and right, look at how the lines of the prayer are setup. If you find the people standing close together, in a well ordered line then you know the people are knowledgeable of their Deen. If you find you are in a Masjid where the lines are broken, gaps between the people who are standing then remember this:

The shaytaan will fill those gaps and cause you to become confused during your prayer. The broken lines show the Imaan of the community is broken and if you find that people do not even say Salaam then Allah is not present in that Masjid.

Find another place to pray, where you do not find yourself becoming distressed from what you see. We are in a terrible time right now, and it will only get worse.

Tahir

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home