Monday, December 04, 2006

LivingHalal in Action: Never Miss Your Prayer

This story of LivingHalal in Action is clipped from Washington Post. May Allah reward this Muslim Taxi driver, and may Allah make his action a reason for people to know the true Islam.


I already was in a bad humor as I watched the taxi meter click away on my trip home from Dulles one recent Sunday afternoon. My bag had gone astray on the way home from South Carolina.

I read the notice about the increase in fares to $2.80 for the first quarter-mile and wondered if the decrease in gas prices would reverse the fare hike.

My driver apologized after receiving a call on his cellphone. I asked him what language he spoke, and he replied "Urdu, or a branch of Urdu called Punjabi."

He explained that Punjab is located between Pakistan and India and was divided in half. He was from the half that went with Pakistan at the time of the great division. Later, he got another phone call -- "the wife," he said. And we both acknowledged that he had to take that call. When we turned on to the Clara Barton Parkway, I asked him if he knew who Clara Barton was. He didn't, so I told him what I knew about her. He had a couple of questions about her that I couldn't answer, and that ended our conversation.

After we pulled up to my house and I paid him, he popped the trunk. I asked why he opened the trunk because I didn't have any bags. He replied by asking if he could use a corner of my drive to say his prayers.

I was surprised, but even an agnostic, which I am, would not deny a person a place to pray. He spread his rug, faced east and began to pray. I observed him from the house. First he stood and then he kneeled, and I was surprised at how touched I was.

It seemed like such a formal but human thing to do, and right on my driveway. I was very proud that he trusted me to ask and that I trusted him and gave my permission. My experience that evening seemed so starkly different from what I hear on the news each day.


-- Lee Gough, Bethesda

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 12/04/2006 11:53:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

May Allah reward him.

 
At 12/04/2006 11:57:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice story, ma-sha-Allah!

 
At 12/04/2006 11:58:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ameen for your Dua's

 
At 12/04/2006 02:52:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

SubhanAllah... our imam was just teaching that is not the duty on every Muslim to do dawa. For that, he said, we should be prepared to speak boldly and have knowledge about what we are going to share. However, he also stressed that it IS the duty of every Muslim to take care of what is fard/required on him. This story is a great example of how simply being faithful in the basic aspects of our religion can be an effective dawa in itself.

 
At 12/13/2006 11:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never be shy to ask for permission to pray... You never know, it can be a reason others to be guided to Islam.

 
At 12/13/2006 11:29:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never be shy to ask for permission to pray... You never know, it can be a reason for others to be guided to Islam.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home